The Montreal Barbarians Rugger Club was founded in 1953 and played its first full season the following year. Formed as an offshoot of the Westmount club, the Barbarians wasted no time in establishing themselves. By their second season they were playing winning rugby and in 1957 were Quebec Rugby Union champions.
The early 1960′s saw the formation of the Saint Lawrence Rugger and Cricket Association, comprised of the Barbarians and the Wanderers Rugby clubs and the Saint Lawrence Cricket League. The association’s goal was to establish a permanent home for both these sports. Farm land was purchased outside Montreal in Ste. Chrysostome, and based in their new home, the Barbarians went on a tear, ending in 1963 and 1965 by winning the Eastern Canadian Championship.
That season proved to be a milestone season for the Barbarians, now nicknamed the “Barbs” in the many headlines that they received. Ray Cornbill, a standout for the Barbs at that time, went on to later coach the U.S. Eagles, the American national team.
The late sixties and early seventies saw a decline in the popularity of the sport and the Barbs were forced to literally ‘sell the farm’.
Relying on municipal fields throughout Montreal, the club eventually settled in the predominantly English West Island area of Montreal, where they have remained since.